As a tenant it is important that you understand your responsibilities. By not fulfilling your tenancy obligations it is possible to lose all or part of your bond.
As a tenant you MUST...
- Pay the rent on time
- Ensure the property is used for residential purposes
- Keep the property up to a reasonable standard of cleanliness
- Inform the property manager of any damage or maintenance as soon as possible
- Pay for the repair of any deliberate or careless damage which you or your friends / visitors cause
- Allow the property manager/ owner reasonable access to the property
- Pay for all electricity, gas and telephone used by you. You may also be required to cover the cost of water depending on whether it is provided for in the Tenancy Agreement
- Comply with the conditions of your Tenancy Agreement
- At the end of the tenancy: pay your rent to the vacate date, remove all of your belongings, leave the property clean and tidy, return all keys or any like devices and leave any chattels provided by the owner
As a tenant you MUST NOT...
- Damage or allow others to damage the property, whether deliberately or carelessly
- Use or allow others to use the property for any unlawful activities
- Keep pets without the owners permission
- Alter the locks without the owners permission
- Allow additional occupants to stay at the property without the owners permission
- Interfere with the neighbours peace or comfort
- Make any alteration to the property in any way without the owners express permission